Friday, April 24, 2009

I did this blog while in Mambukal Resort but could not post it immediately because there was no internet signal there. So here is the belated posting.

April 15, 2009

Thank God for the beauty of nature that surrounds me. Thank God for dear friends and relatives, and the new technology that connects me with them even when I am far away. Thank God for the passion He has given me towards my apostolate with youth. Thank God for His words which opened my heart during the past Lenten season. Thank God! You have indeed provided me with armour to defend me against the onslaught of sadness that could have devastated me again. Thank God I have overcome it.
It is my birthday today. In the morning when I woke up, I had hoped that my husband would give the first greeting for the day. But nothing came or so I thought. At breakfast, my teammates gave me their well wishes and that was the time he gave me a kiss and greeted me. Did he forget? I carried this resentment until the afternoon when there was a heavy downpour and we were all drenched to the skin (our team building activities go on rain or shine). I felt the heavens were with me in my sorrow. After the activities, we went to a local improvised drinking hole to celebrate and warm us. Again thank God for giving me the courage to confront my husband, while walking along the way, about his forgetfulness. Well, he insisted that he wished me happy birthday as I woke up but claimed that I ignored him. I would like to believe him even if human reason tells me otherwise. And so I am pushing aside doubts and give him my trust.
I pray to God to strengthen this fragile trust. I pray for total and complete healing. I pray for my husband, as well, that we both grow stronger in love and that he would help me heal by being healed himself. May we be taken away from any more temptations. May God give us hearts that can truly listen and understand, tongues that can utter the words that the loving heart would like to convey, hands that would soothe and arms that will hug to drive the left-over pain away.
Amen.

April 14, 2009

This is the second time this year that I have had the privilege of working with the youth. Last time was with the Ayala Young Leaders Foundation and, this time, with the Filipino-Chinese Catholic Youth headed by Fr. Peterson Tieng,LRMS. The convention site is at Mambukal, Resort, Bgy. Minoyan, Murcia, Negros Occidental, which lies 1200 feet above sea level. It is located at the foot of Mt. Kanlaon where the youth will get the chance to go trekking upwards towards its seven falls, the last of which is more than 1000 feet above the resort (or more than 2000 feet above sea level). My team and I went there this morning to check out the place, set up our activities and take note of danger areas. I can say that the trek was both a treat for the eyes and the spirit although physically exhausting. Since Kanlaon is a forest reserve, the almost three hours journey, including rest periods and time spent for picture taking, was a witnessing of the forest’s various life forms - from crawling vines , to flowering plants to towering trees – and of the transformation of the falls into rivers, brooks and springs (and vice-versa). Walking amid small and large rock formations and thick vegetations, and along river banks, I cannot but reflect on God’s great generosity by gifting us with these wonderful creations. We are but nothing amid this magnificence yet God has allowed us to be its master. What have we, as people, done in return? Within the forest, we passed by Kaingins which literally devastated large portions of the forest. Thank God for concerned citizens who lobbied and help make Kanlaon a forest reserve thus stopping the further prostitution of this beautiful place. Thank God too for proactive individuals who pick up trash left by soulless tourists even without prodding from anyone.
The resort itself is a configuration of cottages, dorm type lodging houses, big and large swimming pools, dipping pools and medicinal (sulphur ) pools, a butterfly garden, bat watching area, camping sites, and an adventure sports area. Since it is at the foot of Mt. Kanlaon, an active volcano, we can see here and there boiling mud that had to be enclosed to keep guests out of danger. The accommodations are simple (no heater! no television! no internet signal!) but comfortable. The sumptuous meals are provided by the FCCY sponsors so I cannot tell whether the meals served by the resort are as good as the ones we are having. The restaurants (turo-turo style) within the resort though serve very good inasal na manok, sandwiches and a unique concoction of halo-halo (made of fresh melon, mango, avocado , gelatine and tapioca). Once I ordered the halo-halo and bacon/egg sandwich while my husband ordered a large glass of melon shake. I was surprised at the large serving of the sandwich with chips on the side at that. The shake was a disappointment, but the rest was yummy and for the three orders I only paid P150.00! One sorry note: because the resort is being managed by the local government, one can just imagine the poor maintenance of the older cottages. Luckily, we are housed in one of the better ones and so I am not complaining.
I said earlier that I feel privileged to be working with the youth. With their young minds and great enthusiasm, they bring forward a strong message that there is hope in this country. I feel privileged because I am given the chance to work with future leaders who give me a vision of a better tomorrow. In the convention of the Ayala Youth Leaders Foundation last March, focus was in servant leadership. Today, in the FCCY convention, focus is “Witnessing the Word to the World”. Coming from 25 provinces , some 340 youths ,young adults and more mature coordinators, gather and submit themselves to the ministration of their spiritual elders, desiring to learn how to become true witnesses of the Word to the world , how to become leaders in society and the Church, and preparing for the responsibilities that come with leadership. Celebrating the year of St. Paul, these delegates reflect on the life of the saint (journeying with St. Paul is the theme of the trekking activity) and his kind of leadership. St. Paul, by his fanatic defence of the written law, became a sinner. Until his personal encounter with God, he was a persecutor of Christians. But once touched by God, he became a true defender of the faith. I believe that these FCCY youths have already been touched by God. And so now, they want to learn how to be true defenders of the church, they want to know how to harness their individual gifts and charisms to make this world truly a world of God, to make the word of God not only heard and celebrated but a guiding light towards a fervent commitment to serve the society and the church. I am glad I am part of them.
Today, I am really blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment